Creamy Chicken & Rice Soup
Prep Time 15 minutes Cook Time 20-25 minutes Servings: 4
Nothing could be easier than roasting a chicken. This one has a lovely lemon aroma and is juicy too!
What you’ll need
- 2 (6-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 1 medium carrot, grated (about 1 cup)
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup long grain white rice
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon rind
If using cooked chicken, chicken cold cuts or rotisserie chicken, skip step 1.
Make it Faster:
Instead of carrots, celery and onion, substitute 3 to 4 cups of your favorite frozen vegetable blend. No need to cook them. Instead, put them in when you add the chicken.
Use pre-cooked rice and cut down your cooking time about 20 minutes.
1-1/2 cups of broth or a combination of broth and water can be used instead of the evaporated milk
How to make it
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. In large pot on medium high heat, heat 1 teaspoon olive oil until it shimmers. Add chicken to pot and cook about 9 minutes, turning once, or until cooked through; remove and chop.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil until it shimmers; add carrot, celery and onion; cook, stirring, about 5 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- Add broth, rice and evaporated milk; bring to boil, reduce to simmer. Cook about 20 minutes or until rice is tender. Add chicken cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until chicken is heated through. Skim off fat. Stir in parsley and lemon rind.